Blog 1: Get To Know ME


Comments

  1. Hi Lola! Your video was super interesting, I love that you want to go into education policy, I feel like especially right now that is very important, I hope you help change education for the better! I to am monolingual, although both my parents are as well. According to Ortega (2009), In some parts of our world, most children grow up speaking one language only, and that it is common in Western middle-class contexts. My best friend has a heavy accent as well and has expressed to me that it makes her feel really self conscious, and that although she knows the English language people assume that she is lesser because of her heavy accent. I really like the point you made about how growing up with someone who has to deal with an accent barrier has made you empathize with people who are second language learners. I believe that the empathy you have gained from your experience will be extremely beneficial, and your students will love you even more for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Devin! As an educator who will be teaching different student populations such as ESL students, I find it necessary to utilize my personal experiences with people who would have existed in the various different school populations. I admire your friend's honesty about the self consciousness she feels due to her heavy accent. I think as a teacher its not only my duty to reinforce the idea that students with accents aren't inferior to other students, but also to reinforce this idea amongst my colleagues who may hold hidden biases against accented English speakers. In the article "An Analysis of ESL Learner Preferences for Native Accent Retention and Reduction", James Hartshorn writes about how some ESL students may voluntarily strive to achieve a more native like pronunciation, however, Hartshorn states that teachers should not encourage and enforce accent reduction based off their biases, but instead should could consider "whether native-like pronunciation will be needed for their students’ future employment or continuing educational pursuits in English-medium institutions" (Hartshorn 2013, p 15). I agree that its better to take into account if it is actually necessary to try to mitigate an accent for the sake of a student's future rather than to just attempt to reduce the action based off of the false perception of inferiority due to an accent.

      Delete
  2. Hello Lola, I really enjoyed watching your video and getting to know a little bit about you. I love how you want to go into political science so that you can help the way education is taken care of in our country. That is truly amazing, I feel as if there is a lot of things that can be changed through our education system and you wanting to pursue that is inspiring. According to Ortega (2013) “In some parts of our world, most children grow up speaking one language only” (p.3). As for both of us only speaking English growing up and not knowing a second language. The fact that your dad was bilingual and it made you sympathize for people with an accent barrier is amazing. With you being so sympathic for your father and other people with his language barrier with help you out as a teacher. You will deal with this in so many of your students especially since we are so diverse. It will make your students feel more comfortable because you will be able to understand where they are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Emily. I truly believe that a political education and significant experience as an educator is vital when striving to work in a career that requires me to create policy that impacts education and children on such a large scale. It is pertinent that I have information and experience with ESL students as families continue to immigrate to the United States. Without the information I'm learning in this class, I am closing myself off to a whole student demographic who deserve a decent education. I think that my personal experience with L2 English learners coupled with my political and educational knowledge will have me to be an educator and policy maker who can understand the nuances in teacher- student relationships, student-student relationships, and even school district to city or state relationships. I'll be better able to troubleshoot problems such as the lack of quality resources and teachers in lower-income areas that may have higher minority and immigrant student populations. In Anthony Harnett and Michael Naich's article "Democracy, Teachers and the Struggle for Education: an essay in the political economy of teacher education", the authors argue that

      "This democratic agenda involves seeing teachers at three interrelated levels: as citizens; as workers; and as persons. The teacher, like all citizens in a democratic society, has to reflect on, and decide about, the sort of society, and the kind of life, that he/she want. As Gutmann (1987) has shown, this will produce conflict, contro- versy and variety within the broad framework of democratic values. Political and social theory provide a rich source of perspectives, approaches and viewpoints here. If teacher development is disconnected from politics and from its historical and ideological roots, it, like schooling, will replace conscious social reproduction with unconscious social reproduction of the status quo.
      Educational change, therefore, has to be part of wider political change" (Harnett and Naish 2006, p. 345).

      In order for me to be conscious of my own social reproduction, I must consider my political and social ideologies that could subconsciously shape the way I teach and influence later policy I'm involved in.

      Delete
  3. Hello Lola! My parents also have thick accents and will often expressed how that makes them feel self-conscious in their abilities and has your dad ever expressed something like that you? Which completely makes me understand how you become very sympathetic for those who are struggling to be understood. I don’t know if you are the same way but I never seem to struggle to understand anyone else’s accents. According to Rowland “Therefore, it seems plausible that children who start learning a second language later in childhood may find it difficult to acquire the sound patterns of their new language” and this could also be applied to those learning at much later age such as my parents. If you don’t mind me asking how old was your father when he started learning English. I applaud for being interested in education policy and for seeking experience unlike our current Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos. You mention that your mother is a children’s author so I’ll definitely have to look her up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dalis, my father actually started learning English as soon an he began primary school, so around the age of four or five. However since he was born and raised in Nigeria until his mid to late twenties, his accent was already permanently engrained. He also frequently spoke his ethnic group's language, Yoruba, during his time in Nigeria, so there weren't really any opportunities for him to lessen his accent. My dad has never outright expressed his feelings regarding the accent barrier he experiences, but I've noticed instances of frustration between my dad and other American accented people. Sometimes I think that people with American accents just get frustrated with having to slow down and actually take their time to listen to my dad and not necessarily frustrated with his accent. Researcher Laura Ballard explains the results of a survey about accents and compressibility in the article "Student attitudes toward accentedness of native and non-native speaking English teachers" . Ballard writes that "researchers suggested that the harsh ratings for accent and comprehensibility might have been due to the fact that a strong accent requires more processing time, and in turn is more difficult to understand (Ballard, 2013, p.50)." Those who have American accent with English as their L1 may involuntarily create or strengthen the accent barrier simply because they are impatient and don't want to slow their own processing time.

      Delete

  4. Hi, Lola! You make really great points in your video and I find it very interesting and inspiring that you strive to work in education policy. Schools and teaching, in general, would not be as effective if the rules and procedures in the education field were inappropriate and unpractical. The fact that you want to ensure that education policies are high quality and appropriate for the schools nationwide is truly amazing! Additionally, you make another great point by mentioning accents. Usually a language barrier can exist due to one’s accent, even if they do speak the language that you are speaking as well. There should be more people like you who are understanding of this situation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alora! I think that my understanding of the accent barrier will help me a lot as a teacher and when I'm working in policy. There are many immigrant students who will still have their native accent and may need someone in their school environment who has the empathy, knowledge and close experience with a person who's been around multiple accents. I think my experience will help ease potential anxiety students may develop around speaking English due to not wanting to picked on for their accents. Also, I will be able to help reinforce confidence in L2 English speakers who have chosen not to weaken their accent as a means to maintain their identity. Researcher James Harthorn quotes Gatbaton,Trofimovich, and Magid (2005) in his article "An Analysis of ESL Learner Preferences for Native Accent Retention and Reduction" who state that teachers cautioned that while the goal of instruction is to help learners to achieve the most accurate pronunciation possible, teachers "should avoid the suggestion that accented production is somehow inferior to more native-like utterances. Rather, they encouraged teachers to practice tolerance for such speech ( Harthorn 2013, p. 3). I am fortunate to be born with an immigrant father because I now have the perspective needed to intuitively know that accented pronunciation is not less than or inferior.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lola! I think your goal to work in education policy and restructure education is amazing. Being an educator first gives you so much insight into the system. I think growing up with a parent with an accent gives you a lot of insight into how other students may be feeling. Being patient and understanding is very important when talking to someone who has a heavy accent. In the book it is mentioned that in some parts of the world, mot children group up speaking only one language (Ortega 2013). Because you grew up with a father who was bilingual I believe you will be able to use that to connect with your students and when you make decisions about education policy. I really enjoyed your video and thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment